Professor Marian Borkowski
Professor Marian Borkowski has been on the faculty of the Fryderyk Chopin University of Music in Warsaw since 1968, as lecturer (1968–1971), assistant professor (1971–1976), associate professor (1976–1989), full professor (since 1989); deputy dean of the Faculty of Composition, Conducting and Music Theory (1975–1978), vice-president of the Academy (1978–1981, 1987–1990), head of the Chair of Music Theory (1993–1999), dean of the Faculty of Composition, Conducting and Music Theory (1996–1999), organizer and director of the Postgraduate Studies in Music Theory (1998-2008), head of the Chair of Composition (1999–2004), organizer and director of the Postgraduate Studies in Composition (2000-2008). Since 1989 he has also held visiting professorships in composition and has served as guest artist at Concordia University, Conservatoire de Musique du Québec (Québec-City), the University of Montreal, the National Conservatory of Music in Boulogne-Billancourt (Paris), the Accademia Musicale Chigiana (Siena), the University of Kansas (Lawrence), the University of Southern California (Los Angeles), San Francisco State University, Eastman School of Music (Rochester), Georgia State University (Atlanta), Tulane University of Louisiana (New Orleans), the University of North Texas (Denton), Bowling Green State University, Shenandoah University (Winchester), the University of Charleston, Rice University (Houston), the University of Miami, William Paterson University of New Jersey (Wayne), Baldwin-Wallace Conservatory (Berea, Ohio), Southwest Missouri State University (Springfield, U.S.A.), Pontificia Universidad Católica, Valparaíso (Chile), Hanyang University (Seoul), Seoul Superior Conservatory of Music, Keimyung University (Taegu), Catholic University of Taegu-Hyosung, Korean National University of Arts (Seoul) Seoul National University, Chonnam National University (Kwangju) and the University of Suwon in Korea. Since 2010 he is the professor of composition class at the Feliks Nowowiejski Academy of Music in Bydgoszcz. He has educated several dozen Polish composers and has also offered instruction to many foreign undergraduate, postgraduate and doctoral students from Belgium, Canada, Chile, Italy, Paraguay, South Korea, Great Britain and the United States. His students and graduates have won over 350 awards and honourable mentions at national and international composers’ competitions. He has given lectures and masterclasses in Amsterdam, Belgrade, Breaza, Bucharest, Cleveland, Cluj, Esztergom, Klagenfurt, Kwangju, Lyon, Mexico-City, Montreal, Moscow, Paris, Québec-City, Seoul, Siena, Taegu, Tashkent, Vienna and Olsztyn).
alumni and students composition class
He has educated several dozen Polish composers and has also offered instruction to many foreign undergraduate, postgraduate and doctoral students from Belgium, Canada, Chile, Italy, Paraguay, South Korea, Great Britain and the United States. His students and graduates have won over 350 awards and honourable mentions at national and international composers’ competitions.
- Master's Degree Studies in Composition (Master of Arts or Graduate Certificate) - Fryderyk Chopin University of Music, Warsaw, Poland:
1. Joanna Badełek, 2. Wojciech Blecharz, 3. Marcin Błażewicz, 4. Maria Borecka, 5. Katarzyna Bortkun-Szpotańska, 6. Grażyna Paciorek-Draus, 7. Dorota Dywańska, 8. Alicja Gronau-Osińska, 9. Jerzy Kornowicz, 10. Aleksander Kościów, 11. Bartosz Kowalski-Banasewicz, 12. Renata Kunkel, 13. Lee Mi-jin (Korea), 14. Dariusz Łapiński, 15. Paweł Łukaszewski, 16. Emilian Madey, 17. Aldona Nawrocka, 18. Maria Pokrzywińska, 19. Roman Rewakowicz, 20. Piotr Spoz, 21. Łucja Szablewska, 22. Seweryn Ścibior, 23. Tadeusz Trojanowski, 24. Marcin Wierzbicki, 25. Maciej Zieliński, 26. Maciej Żółtowski
- Master's Degree Studies in Composition (Temporary Students: 2-3 years) (FCUM):
1. Renata Baszun, 2. Szymon Kawalla, 3. Paweł Przezwański, 4. Paweł Sprync, 5. Paweł Strzelecki, 6. Hadrian Filip Tabęcki, 7. Marek Towiański, 8. Sławomir Wojciechowski
- Master's and Bachelors Degree Studies in Composition - Feliks Nowowiejski Academy of Music, Bydgoszcz, Poland
1. Szymon Godziemba-Trytek, 2. Igor Jankowski, 3. Jędrzej Roch-Rochecki.
- Postgraduate and Doctorate Degree in Advanced Studies in Composition (Polish Students) (FCUM):
1. Artur Cieślak, 2. Aleksandra Garbal, 3. Aldona Nawrocka, 4. Ryszard Osada, 5. Dariusz Szankin, 6. Maciej Zieliński, 7. Sławomir Zamuszko, 8. Marcin Tadeusz Łukaszewski, 9. Sławomir Kłodnicki, 10. Paweł Kwapiński, 11. Wojciech Szmidt, 12. Łukasz Farcinkiewicz, 13. Igor Jankowski
- Postgraduate and Doctorate Degree in Advanced Studies in Composition (Foreign Students) (FCUM):
1. Boris Alvarado (Chile), 2. Alessandra Ciccaglioni (Italy), 3. Choi Chun-Hee (Korea), 4. Joe Cutler (Great Britain), 5. Gwon Sung-Hyun (Korea), 6. Daniel Luzko (Paraguay/USA), 7. Lee Chong-Man (Korea), 8. Fanny Tran (Belgium)
- Doctor's Diploma in Composition (Doctor of Musical Arts - D.M.A.) (FCUM):
1. Boris Alvarado (Chile), 2. Marcin Błażewicz, 3. Artur Cieślak, 4. Alicja Gronau-Osińska, 5. Aleksander Kościów, 6. Paweł Łukaszewski, 7. Aldona Nawrocka, 8. Ryszard Osada, 9. Maria Pokrzywińska, 10. Marcin Wierzbicki, 11. Maciej Zieliński (in preparation), 12. Igor Jankowski (in preparation), 13. Paweł Kwapiński 14. Szymon Godziemba-Trytek
- Master's Diploma in Music Theory (Master of Arts - M.A.) (FCUM):
1. Katarzyna Bortkun-Szpotańska, 2. Dorota Dywańska, 3. Maria Pokrzywińska, 4. Małgorzata Szymanek-Piotrowska, 5. Małgorzata Waszak
- Postgraduate Degree in Advanced Studies in Composition (Special Program: Seoul Superior Conservatory of Music - Chopin Academy of Music):
1. Hong Jin-Pyo, 2. Jung Joo-Kwa, 3. Jung Yeon-Kun, 4. Lee Eun-Na, 5. Lim Jae-Pil, 6. Park Jeong-Hee, 7. Ro Jung-Hee
- Bachelor's Degree Studies in Composition (Keimyung University College of Music, Taegu, Korea):
1. Cho Byul-Whiee, 2. Choi Yu-Jung, 3. Han Sun-Voung, 4. Jang Jae-Bum, 5. Kim Jin-Keum, 6. Kim Ji-Von, 7. Kim Mi-Kyung, 8. Kim So-Hye, 9. Kwon Young-Jin, 10. Lee Jung-Won, 11. Moon Su-Jin, 12. Park Ji-Myung, 13. Yu Kyung-Suk
- Bachelor's Degree Studies in Composition (Concordia University, Department of Music, Montreal, Canada):
1. Robin Chemtov, 2. Marc Laflamme, 3. Antoun Srouij, 4. Paul Scriver, 5. Brian Thompson.